The fact that New Zealanders are big sports fans is probably no news to anyone. They play it, watch it and support it and this is why New Zealand is the perfect destination for large sporting competitions.
According to Tourism New Zealand, these are just some of the 2017 sporting highlights taking place in the country:
- The World Masters Games – regarded as the largest event New Zealand will host in at least the next decade – 25,000 participants plus supporters from around the world, with most of the international visitors from Australia.
- The DHL New Zealand Lions Series – a highlight on rugby’s global calendar with 20,000 fans expected, mostly from the UK.
- Three world class golf tournaments – including the first LPGA tour event hosted in New Zealand. Biggest golf fans are from Australia, USA, China, and Japan.
- The Audi Quattro Winter Games NZ – one of the top five winter sports events in the world set in Queenstown with a backdrop of the spectacular Southern Alps.
- The Rugby League World Cup – co-hosted by New Zealand, Australia and Papua New Guinea. Games in Auckland, Christchurch, Hamilton and Wellington.
- Crankworx – attracting some of the world’s top mountain bikers for five days of competition and concerts.
- Air NZ’s increasingly popular Queenstown and Hawke’s Bay international marathons.
The team at Tourism New Zealand put all of their efforts into attracting people to visit outside of the peak season and for visitors to visit more regions while they are here. These sporting events are spread throughout the year, showing New Zealand as a destination for all seasons. The events are also being held right across the country, providing more opportunities to get visitors to see more of New Zealand.
If you are planning your trip to any of these events, be sure to visit www.newzealand.com and get all the information you need.
Your contact at tmf:
Project Manager Content & Sales
tel. +49 (0)931 9002 104