The Christchurch Centre is set for completion in late 2019, creating a new premium boutique meetings and events venue for New Zealand’s South Island.
General Manager Rob McIntyre says the convention centre will be a dream space for international event organisers, designed with a distinctive South Island flavour.
The world-class venue takes prime waterfront position beside the Ōtākaro Avon River at the centre of New Zealand’s newest city.
“This will be a landmark facility of outstanding architectural significance. Its central riverside location, cultural and heritage references, and flexible layout all make it appealing to event organisers and delegates,” he says.
The Christchurch Centre is designed to be flexible and responsive to a wide range of event requirements for up to 2000 delegates. The unique divisible auditorium for 1400 will allow two major events to run simultaneously, with plenty of break-out space in 1600 sqm of meeting rooms, and a large 3600 sqm space for exhibitions. A premium banqueting area will feature five-star service, and food and beverage selections from the world-renowned local produce of the South Island.
The main entrance to the Centre opens out to the Ōtākaro Avon River, and has been designed to reflect the fluid curves of the South Island’s braided rivers. The Centre is surrounded by green spaces, parks and gardens fronting onto the river. Stories of the local Māori people and their land, trade and craft are interwoven through every aspect of the design.
“Christchurch ticks all the boxes for educational opportunities, networking, destination appeal and accessibility. It is the gateway to the magnificent South Island, with an excellent international airport and an attractive, compact city centre,” he says.
New Zealand’s second largest city is also home to world-class universities, Crown research facilities, start-up accelerators, and specialist innovation and health precincts.
“Here we can bring together people from all over the world with interests in Christchurch’s specialist areas of expertise, including earth sciences, health sciences, agriculture, food science, international education, building and environmental technology.”
The Christchurch Centre is a New Zealand Government project and is managed by globally-experienced professionals Accor.
Click here to view and download images of Christchurch, the South Island and concept designs for the Christchurch Centre.
- The Christchurch Convention Centre will be capable of hosting up to 2000 delegates for a variety of national and international events. It will include a 1400 delegate auditorium, a 3,600m2 exhibition hall and 1,600m2 of meeting rooms that will overlook Victoria Square.
- Architects Woods Bagot has worked on the design with local Māori cultural advisers, Matapopore Charitable Trust.
- The main entrance to the Centre has been designed to reflect the fluid curves of Canterbury’s braided rivers. This gives visitors easy access to Te Papa Ōtākaro/Avon River Precinct and creates a space for civic welcomes.
- The precinct is lined with hospitality and retail outlets and space has been created for the potential construction of a hotel.
- A practical completion date of late 2019 is being targeted.
- Christchurch’s compact and dynamic CBD features modern retail, accommodation, dining, business, leisure and transport hubs, only 20 minutes from its international airport.
- Website: www.centre.nz
For further information and images please contact:
Anabel Darby Darby PR
Tel: +64 21 668090