Press release by Palacongressi di Rimini

The efforts and commitment of the Polytechnic University in the Marche region, its professors and researchers, in collaboration with the Convention Bureau di Rimini – Event & Conference BU of Rimini Fiera, have resulted in bringing the international convention on the farming and production of strawberries back to Italy after 32 years. The Italian model and the relationship between scientific research will be the central topics of the event.

The event falls every 4 years and has by now reached its ninth edition. It is the leading international convention in the field of science, genomics, nutrition and agronomics, dedicated to the world’s most popular edible fruit: the strawberry. The ISS symposium returns to Italy 32 years after its first edition, held in Cesena in 1988.

The winner of the international bid was the organising committee promoted by the Polytechnic University of the Marche region and Crea Frutticoltura in Forlì, under the leadership of Bruno Mezzetti, Professor of the Agricultural and Food Economics Faculty of the Marche University. The success was also due to the collaboration and involvement of the BU Event & Conference of Rimini Fiera, the Convention Bureau della Riviera di Rimini, and Macfrut.

In fact, the Italian bid was successful not only in satisfying the necessary requirements and standards for the event, taking them one step further and making them even more attractive, it also presented the entire country as a positive example of a sustainable production cycle, capable of boosting economic growth.

“Italy is one of the European Union’s major strawberry producers: it farms 3,625 hectares, 66% of which in the south and the remaining 34% in the north – explains Professor Bruno Mezzetti – we propose a farming method adaptable to any condition of climate or soil type, from the warm southern areas to the cold mountain regions, that can result in continuous fresh production for an extended period throughout the year. It involves an expert team which is among the most organised and competitive in the world, without of course, forgetting our ability to develop innovative and scientific research”.

The heart of the IX edition will be the new collaboration between the scientific world and industry, building a chain that starts from research and follows through to production the market and finally, the consumers. “After all, the strawberry is an important source of bioactive compounds thanks to the high levels of vitamin C, folic acid and phenolic compounds it contains, extremely efficient antioxidants that benefit the health of the consumer”, concludes Bruno Mezzetti – “and this type of farming can also favour rural development with the consequent increase in income for the farmers”.

The programme also includes visits to Italian strawberry farms. A pre-tour on the 1 and 2 of May, 2020 to the South of Italy (Sicily, Campania, Basilicata), followed by three days at the ISS2020 (from 3 to 5 May at the Palacongressi Rimini), and Macfrut Frutta & Verdura Professional Show on May 6. Rounding it all up on May 7 and 8 will be a post-tour to the Polytechnic University of the Marche Region and visits to nurseries and farms in North Italy (Cesena, Ferrara, Verona, Trento).

More about the 9th International Strawberry Symposium here.

Want to know more about holding an event in Rimini? Do not hesitate to contact the Palacongressi di Rimini team or us at tmf dialogue – we are happy to support you!

Your contacts at Palacongressi di Rimini:
Federica Lucini
Marketing Manager
tel. +39 0541 711508

Lara Sandre
International Business Development
mob. +39 349 1217598
tel. +39 0541 711492

Your contact at tmf:
Ulrike Kiesel
Project Manager Content & PR
+49 931 9002 114